Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cognitive Dissonance

I want to post something. I want to talk about how pissy I was at work today, but in order to do that, I have to post something worse. I have to post a bullet. I should have at the top of my blog: weather, mood, number dead, etc., etc... posted. Something happened last month, and I have to admit its one of the reason why I haven't been posting lately. I haven't really been wanting to talk about it, but now for whatever reason, I am ready to talk about it now.

Two days before my birthday, there was a 10 year old girl that went missing-Jamie Bolen. She was found one day after my birthday, dead. In the neighbor's closet. So much for amber alert. She was in a rubbermaid tub. She was obviously cut. There has been confirmation that her killer planned to eat her. That was shocking. And traumatizing, but not near as bad as listening to what was later revealed, which is that her killer, Kevin Underwood, had a blog. (I don't know that I was pumped about putting this link on this post, but I figure it's your choice to go there. Now, all of the comments on his blog mainly consist of either really pissed off people who swear he is going to hell, really sick fucks who think that killing is just as misunderstood as homosexuality, and everyone in between. If you are really curious, you should see his profile, where his blogger profile question is about cannibalism.)

The next Wednesday after my birthday, I had current events discussions in my class and we started talking about the news. All of my kids have my space pages, facebook pages, blogs, etc. Hell, look at where I am choosing to talk about this. Of course the issue of the blog came up. Apparently, there are multiple posts talking about cannibalism. I say 'apparently' but this has been confirmed by news sources. I don't have the patience to look at the sight that long. I don't know how I feel about snooping around there...But more concerning is the fact that one of his posts outlines that he intended to take either his neighbor, some older woman, or some other boy that he was watching-once again, this is all from news sources (sources, meaning I have read more than one source, just b/c I don't want to be part of the glorification entourage...who gossips about the killing...) Other posts talk about his loneliness, still others about how he hasn't been taking his medication.

And the debate begins. Should someone be watching all of this, our posts, I mean? Should someone have seen this coming? And believe it or not, I am actually not looking for your opinions on that. I mean, I would love to hear, but I'm just saying that's not why I am posting. What has gotten me into this state of cognitive dissonance is that in the middle of defending the blog world to a student who said something to the effect of "of course someone should have seen this coming," I spouted back, "Well, I post everyday about how many people I have killed. If there's someone who really pisses me off, I dedicate a post to their death." The debate continued, of course what I was saying was metaphorical, oh, of course we can tell the difference between what's real and what's not real, right? Yeah. Refer to the James Frey post. This is the reason why I am concerned. I don't really think that we do know the difference anymore. People say his, Underwood I mean, blog talks about cannibalism. But then again, right now at this moment in time, so does one of the men that is a dear friend to me. Here's his post on the case for cannibalism. Maybe we should arrest him too.

But honestly, when I reflect on this mess of a dilemma, I also wonder whether or not I too, am to blame for trivializing violence. If Underwood is guilty of glammorizing violence or fantasizing about it, then I am too. Maybe that doesn't make me a killer, but it might make me as ethically slimy as one.

Here's one of the news articles that might help give you more information. Beyond that, if you want to know more, I trust you know how to figure it out from here.

On an unrelated note, I am really thrilled that everyone has been sharing what they are reading as well. It has been awesome. I am still reading A Million Little Pieces, I am a slow reader, but I absolutely love it. I know that I had a moment, but other than about 15 pages, this has been one of the best books I have ever read. I went ahead and purchased the book for myself, and I also purchased the book that follows, My Friend Leonard. I don't know how to describe this book, you have to read it for yourself. Oh, but fast forward past the dentist part. It seems too fake.

And now, since I have hot-linked you to death, I will finish. Wait a minute, in this case is death punny? Is this the lighthearted ending to this post I was looking for? Maybe...

4 Comments:

Blogger bad shoe guy said...

I think that if there is some body (a government, the creepy guy I live with, anybody really) that is able to track who says what and can establish an identity to the otherwise anonymous, then those who choose to post messages about killing and potentially eating their neighbors will simply not post those messages. Effectively, you will have punished people like you who joke about the number of metaphorical bullets you have left and done nothing to solve the truly disturbed people from committing heinous crimes.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kate Mc said...

You got it, shoe guy!

12:11 AM  
Blogger genderist said...

Talking about violence does not lead to violence any more than talking about politics makes me Presidential.

I'm vaguely remembering a great 2N argument here, but The Hater's not helping me with who wrote the card I can barely remember. But it exists, I promise.

7:28 PM  
Blogger bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

You and that husband of yours need to get blogging. Don't make me tell you twice. ;)

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home