Sunday, April 09, 2006

FTBSITTTD



"Fuck the Bullshit, It's Time To Throw Down."
This is what the tattoo on James Frey's body stands for. I think it's perfect.

I think this guy definetely didn't plan on fucking over Oprah when he got this tattoo, but I couldn't think of anything more beautiful for this guy to do.

I have been fascinated with this controversey since it started. And, just in case you have been smart enough to avoid Oprah, CNN, and Larry King, just click on the Frey link above and you can get caught up.

I have been, of course, curious to read this book because of all of the controversey. The 100% Angel in me wanted to stand strong behind the Oprah book club and the rest of America and say, "Shame on you Jimmy. We gave you millions of dollars because we thought we were reading the truth and you lied to us, Jimmy. You lied." And then I remember how much I hate Oprah-someday I will get to that long tangentle post, until then, just know she's one of the people I will fight with pudding, raw meat, and chinese stars when I get to heaven. That bitch is goin' down.

Where was I?

But, the 100% Debater in me has been dying to read this book. And not just read it, but actually stand beside it. This guy not only pulled a huge stunt on the book publishers, who didn't want to publish it when it was fiction, but also, he pulled it on mine enemy, the woman who is in every soccer mom's wet dream, the woman who has also lied about her own addictions, the same woman who told a fan that she would never do a favor for one of her fans for $2,000.00 because that was pocket change compared to what she was really worth. The Debater in me keeps callin'. I remember reading Baudrillard. I remember him telling us that reality has been constructed by the media, and I think this is the perfect ironic slap on the wrists to all of us. I really want to say, "Good one, Jimmy. Through lying in your book, you have taught us the value, or rather lack of value in purchasing life stories of other people's pain. You told us that if we take pleasure in the simulation of the train wrecks of other lives then you were going to give us the ultimate of all train wrecks. We should be thanking you Jimmy. For giving us what we want. That safe and secure feeling that we get when we know that we didn't have to go through what you did. That we are a wee bit better than you. Jimmy, we love you because we read your bio back cover and we are pleased to see yet another person who can overcome adversity and grow up to have a spouse and children in the land of the free. God Bless America, Jimmy. God Bless America."

I can't help it. I love the rebel hero. I love how even morality and reality has become one large game. And I'm not fighting the games. I wasn't sure whether I was going to read the book, though. Irony or not, it's still lies. Last week, in another stroke of irony, one of my students brought it into class and she actually loaned it to me to read. Sweet! Perm! Don't have to purchase. Get to still read the dirty little lies. Hee hee hee! I love it! Last week I was complaining about how my interests are often bastardized by school, and then school paid me back by giving me the resources to check out one of my interests. Wee! It's been like winning the lottery. And I will shamelessly say, it's everything a lie should be. I'm 60 pages in and I like the way my toes feel in the mud...

1 Comments:

Blogger genderist said...

But I thought you liked Oprah! :)

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home