Saturday, February 18, 2006

Summary of the Debate Tournament Experience

I thought that just like any sport, I would highlight some of the experiences that go into my weekend. So here's my "best of" clips from the debate tournament:

Here's the highlights:
I was hit from behind in the school van.

My arch enemy was in fine form.

My future employer took to ignoring me.

It went from 40 degrees to 20 degrees in 4 hours and it started sleeting on Friday.

By Friday night, there was an inch of ice on the windshield. We had no gloves, no ice scrapers, and no heat in the van.

We borrowed scrapers, but it was still sleeting and the van was still cold, so the windshield kept sleeting over.

Only 4 of the 20-some debaters returned the next day because of the weather.

We got 5 regional qualifiers.

I watched some really bad rounds.

Favorite Quote of the Weekend:

"Well, you need to go find them...Because, right now we don't have people to monitor the halls!"

Novice blunders:
You know how it's funny to watch a baby fall on its ass a few times when it attempts to walk? Yeah, basically the same deal here...

Mispronounced Words:
Consolidates
Rhetoric
Exploitation
Concept
Recognition
Premised
Enable
hierarchical
Alternative
Evil
Inevitable
Ideology

"New Words":
Majoriliy
Communistic

And my favorite Novice quote of the weekend:
When answering the question, "Will Dick Cheney be prosecuted for the hunting accident shooting?"

"My second area of analysis is that Cheney is an important aide to the White House...I even have an article that proves this. It says that President Bush really likes Vice President Cheney..."

3 Comments:

Blogger bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

Ah, yes. The magic and fun of novice debate rounds. Sort of like chewing glass. I get embarassed for them the same way I get embrassed for Chevy Chase in the National Lampoon movies . . .

7:44 PM  
Blogger Unequivocal_Prowess said...

I have never heard a more accurate description of novice debate. Well played...

7:20 AM  
Blogger the count said...

I've got a good quote from Harvard.

Student 1: Where's Sever Hall?
Student 2: We're in Sever Hall.
Student 1: Yeah, but which way is THE Sever Hall?
Student 2: Honey, Sever Hall is the name of the building, not the hallway within the building.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home