Thursday, December 29, 2005

Semper Fi

I heard a great story last night that seemed silly enough to share. It takes a back story to tell, but I think it's worth it. (This story was created with the help of Bad Shoe Guy-let's give credit where credit is due.)

There is a story that floats around the Education circuit that I was first introduced to during my senior year of college. It is intened to be inspirational, and the short version goes something like this: A man is found standing on the beach throwing what appearsto be stones into the ocean, when another man comes up to him. He inquires as to what the man is doing, and the man replies, "In a few hours the tide will receede and all of these starfish will be left to die. I am throwing them back into the ocean so that they can live." Distressed at the man's statement, the observer says, "But there's miles and miles of starfish on this beach. What you are doing won't make a difference." The thrower looks up at him and smiles. He holds one up to the observer and says, "Tell that to this one." This story has always gotten on my nerves. It's inspiring and wonderful, until you hear it for the sixth time and you try to let it have the same meaning. Well, that and you experience your first year of teaching and you know that those blessed little high school students aren't starfish, they are more like stingrays or jellyfish. But all fish metaphors aside, I heard a story that parallels this and is just insulting enough to give me great pleasure.

Story number two, which I believe is better because it is true: A young girl is working in a restaurant when she comes upon a gluttonous couple. They order many things to eat, they are ravenous. Many appetizers and bread sticks later, the couple's food arrives. They again bolt thier food like fat girls at an eating contest. When the waiter comes back to pick up the plate, she notices that the man has eaten everything on his plate except for one bite of shrimp. She looks at him and smiles. "There's only one bite left on your plate. Don't you want it?" The man politely smiles back and says, "No thanks. I am stuffed." The young girl proceeds to pick up the plate, "Too bad you don't have room," she looks at the shrimp again, "I guess this little guy died in vain." And she walks off.

I don't know why this story feels like sweet justice, but for some reason it tastes like buttercream cupcakes in my mouth.

Bart: B-7
Homer: Ow, You sunk my scrabbleship
(Lisa walks in)
Lisa: Scrabbleship! That's not even a real game!
Homer: Tell that to the brave men who just lost their lives. Semper Fi!


I'll be gone until Saturday, see you later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home