Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The System

As we speak, I am waiting for the bank to determine that I am not a criminal. Not your ordinary run of the mill kind of week I guess.

On Friday, I deposited an older check (By older, I mean that it was written in November) that my mom had given me. By Friday evening, the bank had suspended all ability to use the bank account. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I continued to have NO ABILITY to withdraw or use one red cent in my account while the bankers enjoyed a three day weekend. I doubt that while any of them were enjoying their holiday that they took time to even think about MLK Jr.

By Tuesday, after making 5 phone calls and being on hold a total of 3.75 hours combined wait time, my account was still not up to par. Instead of speaking to a national bank representative (by the way, this should be reason enough why you should never belong to a banking chain) I decided to talk to a local bank rep. It was explained to me that the bank suspended my account for suspected fradulent activity. Nope not that someone ELSE was a criminal, but rather that I WAS THE CRIMINAL.

The reason? Because when I cashed the older check, my mom had already written 20-some other checks, so it looks like I stole a check from her and then waited to cash it.

The kicker? My mom holds an account with this same national chain. Not only that, but MY NAME IS ON HER ACCOUNT AS WELL.

So let me get this straight, I am being accused of stealing money from myself?

It gets worse.

After the "internal investigation" occured, the decision has been made that the check was suspicious, so now they have decided to close my checking account. "What about all of the money in the account?" I ask. "What about the fact that I have direct deposit and my check will be arriving at the bank tomorrow?" I demand.

Witty, shitty response? That I will recieve a check MINUS the $60.00 check account closing fee, will be sent to me in 30 days. "What about the bills?" I now cry, because anger has given way to defeat.

The response? "Thank you for choosing ______________ and have a nice day." Click.

I went to a local branch. I can't stop the direct deposit. My local banker thinks the national chain is full of shit, but when he calls the woman I was speaking to, she is out to lunch. Devastating lives seems to work up an appetite. He'll call me at 2:00p.m. It's 2:10p.m. and I have heard no response. The Local Banker Man told me not to fret as I bawled my way out the door. He says, "But while you are waiting you should go try to open a new checking account, because if our internal agency decides that this is fraud, they will fax the information to every other bank that is a chain in the nation and you won't be able to bank anywhere." I just look at him.

The comforting part? He tells me that I shouldn't allow this to get me upset, because even though he is an employee, the same kind of mistake has happened to him before.

The moral? Old checks from family members aren't worth it. Tear them up and ask them to write a new one or just move on with your life. Oh, that and if a bank advertises itself as the strongest and best nationwide chain with 24 hour bank internet access and nationwide ATM availability, spit in their face and put them on your shit list, because it is always too good to be true.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Ack! That's awful. I hope everything works out for you and I'll deposit a check I got recently right away.

BTW, you commented on my blog awhile back (DistractedWriter) and said that you had no idea how to write. I beg to differ! You tell great stories on your blog already.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Kate Mc said...

Ok. American banks officially suck. I've cashed cheques that are nearly 4 months old with no problems in Canada.

They're on crack. Especially if your mother hasn't complained about a missing cheque or put a stop on it.

I'd be bawling too.

5:01 PM  
Blogger bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

I strongly suspect that this is Bank of America. I've had similar problems with them out here in Calfornia.

Anyway, if this isn't fixed yet, or if this happens again, I suggest that you threaten legal action and use the words "bad faith dishonor of a check" and see how fast it gets the attention of a very nice manager.

8:52 PM  
Blogger bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

Been thinking about this more and more and they really can't do this to you. Do *not* let them get away with giving you a penny less than is in your checking account. And if they fax anything to any other bank that is even remotely derogatory, take them apart. They may be acting like they can do this as a matter of policy, but they are wrong, wrong, wrong.

10:31 PM  
Blogger genderist said...

I'd listen to him.

He got my AC turned back on...

Take notes and we'll go in with guns-a-blazing!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home