Sunday, June 25, 2006

The (edit) First (edit) day of debate camp

Nightmare happens this morning at 4:00 a.m. It is time to go to debate camp. (Edit arrival) (Edit leaving town) We are driving in circles to pick up pieces of our entourage. We haven't left town at 6:00 a.m.
Road trip is beautiful. I still love being awake when the sun rises, I just fucking refuse to do it voluntarily.
(Edit driving) (Edit Conversations)
Arrive in Austin sometime around 12:00 p.m. to get to registration. No breakfast, now we wait for what will soon be no lunch. We miss the 45 minute time frame for lunch while we are hauling load after load of shit to our dorm room, which happens to be on the 17th floor of a 27-flight tower. To which, not only are all of the other debate campers trying to haul 7 weeks of shit into their own tiny little crevices of hell, now also, we discover that golf camp, swimming camp, tennis camp and band camp will all be joining our platform. Sharing our 3 elevators, breathing our air conditioning, putting their own beautiful bodies in the pool-as if geeks needed their own 7 weeks of debate heaven to once again be accentuated by the very same atheletes that make them feel isolated and akward the rest of the year, now eating our same food, stealing our corners and watching us closely when we do, damn it, decide to go ahead and grab a second brownie from the desert cart. Fucking athletes. Bless them, but damn it, we've never shown up on a football field (throwback to you Kate!) and tried to start a fucking spelling bee or philosophical face-off on their turf. Arg. Random Swears. Doody. Booger. Mother Fucker. Pissy. I don't know. We are swimming literally and not-so-literally in pre-teen angst. (Edit feelings) (Edit the Meltdown) I at least know the debate kids are big enough assholes to defend themselves when the shit goes down, it's really those band kids that I feel sorry for.

And then there's the surprise benefits that accompany the trip:

The fact that those in charge are rarely around and,, if present are unwilling to alieviate the problem,

The fact that I've been here 6 1/2 hours now and still have little if no idea what the fuck I am doing here,

(Edit some surprises)

The fact that I am so surprised by some things here that I am not even at liberty to divulge them for fear that anyone would read this and have hurt feelings or hurtful thoughts or hurt, hurt, hurty mc-hurt-hurt,

The fact that we unexpectedly double for daycare,

The fact that the only other staff members I have been able to talk to are the ones I already knew,

The fact that parking will be $10.00/day despite the fact that I am staff, and subsequently being here 2 1/2 weeks puts me somewhere $200.00 in the hole, which kind of defeats the purpose-(surprise! you get to pay to be here to be paid...)

The fact that I have to post another pissy post, and

The grand mother of all surprises came this morning when I went to scratch my ear and the mother of all fires seared down my ear canal. You might as well have broken both of my legs and front teeth for what this pain was worth, and all of you know this sting because it's the blazing heat of having a pimple on the inside of your ear that you don't know about until you go sticking your finger in there. Killer.

The funniest part of this little rant is that I'm not really in all that bad of a mood about the situation, I kind of think it's funny. I can't wait to live in crazy town. Remember the set for the Surreal Life that had Amarosa and Janice Dickinson in it? Yeah, that's how I feel. Surreal Life Indeed.

3 Comments:

Blogger the count said...

click, click, click, click, weeeee! and i don' t mean HER. i'm sorry you'be had a bad run of it, i'll be there soon. love you.

6:49 PM  
Blogger genderist said...

Wow. This sounds totally special...

and just think, you get to be a part of band camp, too? Maybe they'll let you be the point of the star!! or throw the baton!! or just mark-time on the 50, the whole time musing that you're really too cool to march...

The first thing I think about being on the 17th floor is that I hope nobody pulls the fire alarm at 2am... because walking flights of stairs gets old after about 7 flights...

Fingers crossed for you.

Miss you!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Unequivocal_Prowess said...

Yeah, I definetely think I will secretly run a color guard camp out of the back door to make some extra money for this gig-lol!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home