Friday, July 28, 2006

Malfoy Is Coming

All right. Time to sound like a super geek. My friend from Debate Camp is coming. Him and I used to teach together at the camp that I was at last week, but for the past 4 years he hasn't been able to come. It hasn't been that big of a deal that he was gone, it's just another symbol of things that change over time.

He's one of the friends I can talk to for hours...

He's one of the friends that I don't see often enough...

And he always comes into town and the strangest and most inopportune times, but there's no worries, that's how it always works out. This time, instead of hiding him in my home, I want to parade him all over the city so that he can meet my friends. I haven't seen him in two years and I'm excited for him to be here.

None of this is the super-Geeky part, though.

This is my friend that I started reading Harry Potter books with. The last time he came to visit, I was finishing the 4th book, Goblet of Fire. I had about 200 pages left and he asked me if I'd hit "the point where shit hits the fan." I was assuming that I hadn't because nothing seemed extraordinary yet...He told me I would know because I wouldn't be able to put the book down. I scoff at these challenges, because I read at night just before I go to sleep and regardless of how crazy a plot gets, I can always sleep it off until the next day. When we were going to bed that night, I continued to read a few chapters, and finally it happened. Shit hit the fan. My peeps that are HP fans know. Yeah, you know. It was already late when I went to lay down-sometime in the one o'clock hour and I went out to wake up Malfoy (yeah, I know we have the cheezy HP names that we use to e-mail each other, I use Madam Hootch) and he sleeps on the couch while I stay up and try to read. I AM A SLOW READER. So the book closes and I finish sometime around 5:00 a.m., and I wake him up to talk. Thus began the mania. Now, whenever a book or movie comes out, we have to coordinate our viewing schedules across states so that we can see the movie or read the book in about the same amount of time. I made the utterly SILLY decision of only buying one copy of the 6th book and it was horrible because I had to wait for the Count to read it first before I could tackle it. We called each other when we were done and read passages and conspired together about the endingof the series. I didn't think I was a sick fan of anything, but apparently of this, I am. And so it is. The first confession that I've made in at least a few months, but I love the Potter. I can't wait for the next book or movie, and I can't wait for my friend Malfoy to get here...

4 Comments:

Blogger genderist said...

How fun! Have a great visit!!

4:40 PM  
Blogger the count said...

Hey, I posted.

2:47 PM  
Blogger genderist said...

PS: Had fun tonight with you and Malfoy.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Kate Mc said...

No more of a geek than moi, m'dear! I'm the one with the magic wand and the Gryffindor scarf, remember?

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home