Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Nightmare List


Genderist and I were talking last night about how vivid our dreams have been lately. So, I decided to do a dream list of some of the strangest recurring dreams that I have had. I'll leave out all of the nightmares I used to have of the Wicked Witch of the West, but other than that, these are some of my strangest and what they may or may not mean...

1. First and Most Common, The Driving Dream: I have had this dream since I was at least 6 or 7 years old (let's just say from as old as I could understand what driving was, I was having this dream). This one happens started when, before I could drive, I would be forced to drive the car and I couldn't so the car loses control. Once I was driving, I started having dreams that the car's brakes or clutch would quit working and I start rolling faster and faster towards a bridge, wall, or water. Too much fun. Scares the crap out of me every time. See Crash: Means that I am experiencing a shocking situation, or that I have beliefs that strongly disagree with someone, or that I am going to die in a car crash. The crazy part is that I've always thought I was going to die in a car crash. (Too serious for this post, maybe? )

2. My Teeth are Falling Out: This is a new one for me. I started having it last week, actually. It is so embarrassing and it's worse that going to an event naked. See Teeth: Means that I have said something foul that I regret (unlikely since I would have this dream everyday) or that my health is somehow in question or jeopardy. I have also been told it has to do with concern about appearance, which goes along with the health thing.

3. My Worst Nightmare: I had this dream only one time, but it is worth mentioning, because I never forgot about it. I was about 13 years old and I was staying at my Dad's house for a week. I went to bed and dreamed that I lived in a trailer in the woods. There are tall trees and snow everywhere. I run out and this bear is going nuts. He's mauling people and killing and I am frozen to the spot watching. I finally was able to open the door and the last thought I remember before waking was that I would spend the rest of my life fighting the bear. See bear or Polar Bear: apparently the bear signifies a life and death change, a deep introspection, or dealing with aggression, competition, or overwhelming obstacles. What's weird is that I still don't know what it is I fight daily with the bear. Maybe that's why I still remember the dream.

4. The Murders and Death Dreams: I think everyone has also had these. The dream where someone you love dearly dies. Or when a stranger dies. I went through a period of about 3 months every year in high school, I would have murder dreams where I would murder classmates or sometimes family members and the rest of the dream would be centered around trying to dispose of the body. These are the dreams that I would wake up with the most amount of guilt. See Murder or Killing: This means I have suppressed rage (surprise, surprise) that I am putting an end to an old habit, or that I have oppressed rage at the person I was killing.

5. The Strength Dream: This has been recurring for five years. It's a dream about Professional Wrestling or Wrestlers. I am either meeting a wrestler or I am a professional wrestler, or I am looking for one. Something along those lines. I don't think there's a way to look those up, but I know this dream like the back of my hand. It's my strength dream. I always have this dream as a pep talk for my self. It brings out my stronger side.

There they are. There are a few more, but you all will only read so much in a day. Let me know what you dream if you dare. And just hold back on the "I think you are psycho" comments. I definitely could live without those right now...It's good to be back around, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger genderist said...

The teeth dreams suck. We talked about that.

Last week I had some scary tornado dreams. We were at my home, which is interesting to me because actually I feel safer there because I know where all the nearest basements are, except we were trying to out-drive the swirls instead of hide from them. (Until we got to a part of town where we didn't know, which is impossible, but that's where we tried to seek cover anyway.) Weird.

Another recurring scary dream I've not had in a while is one where I'm about to drown. I may not have been a lifeguard, but I can swim, mind you, or at least I once could do it very well. In the dream I'm swimming alone and am trying to come up for air, you know how you can look up and see the sunlight at the top of the water? SO I'm swimming up, holding my breath, except the further I swim, the not-closer I am to the top of the water. It's awful because I start doing the small exhales, swimming and watching the bubbles move faster than I can, until I hit the moment that there's no way I can hold my breath any longer. And I panic. When I finally try to breathe, it's a fight, and I'm still no closer to the top of the pool. However, something strange has happened -- a calm, encompasing serenity, and somehow I'm able to breathe underwater, which always surprises me. And then I wake up.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Kate Mc said...

I don't dream much. Sometimes I think it's a curse, but then I also don't have nightmares very often, so I guess it evens out in the end...

4:49 AM  
Blogger Sridhar Nori said...

wow
I didn't think the teeth falling out dream was common
i do get the 'going to an event an finding out i've forgotten to wear pants' one more often

do any of you guys ever get a dream that was actually pleasant?
I've only heard a case like this from one of my cousins, and even she said that it was more 'mundane' than pleasant, but i'd definitely prefer that :)

P.S. I hope I'm not intruding Unequivocal_Prowess

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home